As its Associated Partner our CoSE-Network was invited to attend the Year Conference 2013 of the Covenant of Mayors on Monday 24 June, 2013. With this mini-flyer (see: ‘link‘) Jaap Huurman tried to make contacts with present mayors to invite their own communities for our Communities of Sustainable Europe. Unfortunately no communities react afterwards, but Jaap was asked to give all CoSE-partners the regards of Arnold Schwarzenegger, who was also present!
Communities of the Future
In the Netherlands some communities have united themselves in a new CoF-network, namely ‘Communities of the Future’ (www.communities-of-the-future.org with English pages).
The objective of CoF is to strengthen the cooperation of civilians in these communities (rural villages and urban neighborhoods) on the 14 various aspects:
- Architecture and Spatial Planning, with potential sub-themes:
- Organizing a architecture-competition
- Developing a spatial plan for the community
- Care and Health, with potential sub-themes:
- Organizing youth-work,
- Organizing a self-help-group with and for elder people
- Culture and History, with potential sub-theme:
- History as important basis for identity
- Economy, with potential sub-theme:
- Organizing a community-shop
- Organizing a local-valuta-network
- Education, with potential sub-theme:
- Integration of local culture in local school-education
- Energy, with potential sub-theme:
- Organizing a local, people-based sustainable energy company
- External contacts, with potential sub-theme:
- Organizing a network with other communities
- Food and Waste, with potential sub-themes:
- Cultivating our own food,
- Housing, with potential sub-themes:
- Constructing with – or for the people,
- Renovation and insulation
- Integration, with potential sub-theme:
- Organizing meeting-debates between minorities and majorities
- Mobility, with potential sub-theme:
- Towards a sustainable-electric-car-share-system
- Nature, with potential sub-theme:
- Inventory of local wild-life
- Public space management, with potential sub-theme:
- Organizing a periodical community-cleaning-scheme
- and Security, with potential sub-theme:
- Organizing a crime-prevention-team
The CoF-Network wants to cooperate with authorities and with educational institutes and is actually cooperation with the Saxion University of Applied Sciences
De Stoere Houtman has received a grant of the E-motive-Fund of (a.o.) Oxfam-Novib to organize transfer of experience, information and know-how of communities in India to communities in the Netherlands and other countries in North and South.
De Stoere Houtman co-operates on this scheme with Communities-of-the-Future, with Communities-of-Sustainable-Europe, with universities in the Netherlands and India, with the Barefoot Academy of Governance in India and with Movisie in the Netherlands.
During a first visit to India within this scheme by De Stoere Houtman chairman Jaap Huurman and Saxion University student Rolf Witting in December, 2012 a partnership between the successful village Hiware Bazar (see link ‘CoF India special village Hiware Bazar’) was established.
Late 2013 we hope to organize a visit of 3 Indian communities to the Netherlands, with quite some workshops and seminars with communities, authorities, universities, etc
And in 2014 a counter visit is planned by Netherlands communities to their new counterparts in India.
See link ‘CoF India special village Hiware Bazar’